Sustainable Land Management & Climate Change Research Programme
The research programme:
- enhances and supports adaptation to climate change
- reduces agricultural greenhouse gases
- encourages the establishment of forest sinks
- manages deforestation
- capitalises on new business opportunities arising from the world's response to climate change.
Types of research
The SLMACC Research Programme invests in targeted basic, applied and policy research, including:
- the impacts of climate change and adaptation to climate change
- mitigation of agricultural and forestry greenhouse gas emissions
- cross-cutting issues, including economic analysis, life-cycle analysis, farm, catchment and systems analysis and social impacts
- policy research to address targeted policy questions.
Climate issues facing farmers – Survey results
The impacts of climate change are projected to intensify over the coming decades - both environmentally and economically. Both domestic and international expectations about the response to climate change and sustainable use of resources have risen.
This research highlights that 63% of farmers agree or strongly agree that global human activity is contributing to climate change, a significant increase on the proportion agreeing in 2009.
Download the full report [PDF, 3.4 MB]
Celebrating 10 years of research
Read about some of the projects funded by SLMACC during the past 10 years.
- Download the booklet Investing in tomorrow [PDF, 11 MB]
Each year MPI approves a number of priority topics that address 1 of the following research themes.
- Impacts of climate change and adaptation.
- Mitigation of agricultural and forestry greenhouse gas emissions.
- Cross-cutting issues, including economic analysis, life-cycle analysis, farm catchment systems analysis, and social impact.
The theme topics will vary each year.
2019-2020 funding round results
- List of successful applicants and their projects [PDF, 118 KB]
This section has the SLMACC review reports completed in August 2018.
- A Review of 10 Years of Research – Summary of findings [PDF, 4.8 MB]
- Survey of Project Leaders and Stakeholders [PDF, 557 KB]
- Technology Transfer Projects [PDF, 946 KB]
- Agricultural greenhouse gas mitigation projects [PDF, 1.9 MB]
- Agricultural GHG mitigation [PDF, 270 KB]
- International Agricultural Mitigation Research and the impacts and value of 2 SLMACC Research Projects [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Mind the gaps: Synthesis and systematic review of climate change adaptation in New Zealand’s primary industries [PDF, 2.1 MB]
- Climate change research in New Zealand focusing on forestry [PDF, 3.6 MB]
MPI regularly publishes reports produced by the SLMACC Research Programme.
Case study fact sheets
Find case studies fact sheets on completed SLMACC projects.
- Facing up to pest, weed and disease incursions as the world warms [PDF, 456 KB]
- Methane inhibitors – helping to nip a problem greenhouse gas in the bud [PDF, 598 KB]
- Ensuring planted forestry remains light on its feet as the planet warms [PDF, 615 KB]
- Sizing up the emissions footprint on low and high input dairy systems [PDF, 819 KB]
- Tapping into a tradition of adaptation in a warming world [PDF, 393 KB]
Who to contact
If you have questions about the SLMACC Research Programme, email email@example.com